Saturday, August 4, 2012

#2 THANKS TO METRO SUBWAY SYSTEM
I have long heard about the Subway system in New York City, but only
this week I have a chance to feel it and to digest it and to live with
it. I have been six times on the Metro New York Subway and three times
on the Metro North railway to New Haven in Connecticut. I do have the
MTA map at hand and the New Haven Line as well. Now I am pretty
confident to go around by the Metro New York Subway system. I know how
to get to the right subway station and find the right train to the
destination I want to go. I know how to find connection trains and be
in the flow to catch the punctual train schedules.

This afternoon after the excursion to Bloomberg, I asked permission to
Daniel to actually leave the group and got off at the Grand Central.
From there, I took Metro North towards New Haven. It cost $14.75 for
one ride. And there I headed to State Street Station in New Haven on
the Metro North number 21 leaving the Grand Central at 3.33. I arrived
at my destination at 5.20 pm. I called for a pick up, and fifteen
minutes later my sister in law arrived to pick me up. It was still
bright when I got to her house, met her husband and children. There, I
could see the house clearly, enjoyed their garden, and even played
with their funny little rabbit. Half an hour later, we left the house.
Gee what? Yesterday was my nephew's birthday, and today they planned
to go out for dinner to celebrate his birthday. Thanks God for
bringing me to their family for this celebration.
After dinner, we went around the town a little bit. Soon it was about
time for me to catch the second last train to go back to New York.
They dropped me back at the train station and again I was soon on the
Metro North departing at 20.17. Here I am now. I got back to St John's
Campus at 12.30 AM.

In short, I have discover the spirit of living with the subway system.
Thanks to MTA.

1 comment:

  1. Leo, thanks for the vote of confidence in public transportation. Unfortunately, most of the U.S. has nothing like this, so in most of the country people are dependent on their cars. I go to New Haven quite often, and I know how easy it is. But I do find it hard to get around Queens because compared with New York's other boroughs, there aren't enough subways. (A local paper, the Queens Tribune just ran a piece about this).

    Keep exploring!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete