Saturday, August 4, 2012

What is "Art"?

Yesterday we took a tour to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMa). I know nothing about art, but I like the environment of museums that I often enjoy spending hours in the museums (any kind of museums). As soon as we arrived, I liked its architecture. White, simple, functional. A stairwell that allows me to overview entire floors, many large windows that stands out the scenery as it was also a piece of artwork. Beautiful.

I was amazed that “modern art” is not only about paintings or sculptures, but any objects can be a piece of art. The piece that inspired me the most was (and I know that I am a minority in this favor), was photography by Taryn Simon. The art is just a collection of portrait of ordinary people. I soon realized that people are not smiling, but they looked as they’ve lost facial expression. A portrait is just a photo as one, but the collections of portraits were expressing strong messages; HIV in Kenya, Ukrainian orphanage, rabbit reduction in Australia, just to name a few. I knew these issues as knowledge, but this “art” vividly showed me stories behind each person who were actually being involved to the issue. It was a very shocking piece for me.

The definition of “art” is very difficult, but I consider it as a way to express inner thoughts and feelings. I think the most important thing is to put effort to expressing one’s feeling for others to know. I may be least likely to be an ‘artistic person’, but I am hoping I will be able to express my feelings, which I would call it an “art”, during my stay in the U.S.

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday we really had good time at Museum of Modern Art. I enjoyed many of the exhibits, but still can not understand some of them. Maybe, I am not the person of art, too, but for me art is something which makes me to think about and extraordinary approach to ordinary things. From my point of view art should be professional.Not all the paintings, sculpts can be accepted as an art work. At least, artist should think of the audience before "expressing his/her inner thoughts and feelings".

    ReplyDelete