Sunday, August 12, 2012


American Subway!!

When I came to New York, I was so excited not only because I’m a Fulbright student, but also because this is my first trip outside my country. As our first week was in Manhattan, we (me and my friends) decided to enjoy every moment and to discover this amazing city. It was possible to go to many places at the same night by using public transportation: the subway!

However, it was difficult for me, in the beginning, to understand the subway map. As if directions were written in an unknown language. I spent the first days asking my friends: how they know exactly which station is the right one? What does it mean 5 avenue/ 42 street? Why the C train and not the B train? Etc.

Asking questions is the best way to learn. At the end of that week, I tried to go out with some Fulbright students who do not know how to use the map to see if I really understand the system. And, guess what; I did it J Even yesterday, I was alone and it was easy to come back to Queens from Manhattan after visiting some places. 

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I do not understand the subway to this date, but yes, it is something that with time, one can get used to...I am always in the company of a GPS-savvy bunch, thanks to them iI am not yet used to the subway to date. But i must admit i have used the same before and it was more easier to understand...but probaly because the place (Dubai) was smaller and had less routes...nonetheless, you are right,its ALWAYS great to ask questions,that is how we learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The subway system is sometimes confusing for New Yorkers, too, especially when there's a problem with a train line and we have to take an alternate route to get where we want to go. You should definitely be proud of yourself if you've started to master the system!

    ReplyDelete