Sunday, August 12, 2012

New phase without family…new encounters.

The last few weeks before leaving for the Fulbright Pre-academic Program at St John's University, New York City saw me running around like a headless chicken that the day of departure was on me sooner than I had thought. The first thing I did after waking up on the day was to thank God for securing me a place in the 2012-2014 Fulbright group, then I looked around my room to take everything in as I knew I would not be waking up in it again in the near future, maybe never.

I had heard my siblings talk about doing a mini breakfast as a family farewell for me, but I was simply blown away at the effort they had made just to see me off. Even though I could not 'properly' sit at the dinner table and be part of the now-turned-to-brunch gathering that was done specially for me, my heart just melted at how much everyone had woken up earlier than usual, gotten out of their way to make special dishes and even set the table, something we do not do often in my house. It is a pity that despite the brunch having been prepared especially for me, I could not sit with everyone to eat...this is because when I travel, I am never ready until i exit the house, sometimes wonder whether this is the case with everyone else…

I must admit I was still in a daze when family and I huddled into the cars and made our way to the airport; it was not until we arrived at the airport that it dawned on me that I was leaving family and friends for two years! While queuing for the departure formalities, I was pleasantly surprised to see two of my friends, one with her daughters - and I just felt tears welling up in my eyes at the love I felt from their presence.

Once my luggage was checked in, my friends, family and I went to a kiosk and whiled the time away while waiting for my 'boarding call'. Being a very diverse, liberal and open-minded bunch that always jokes together, my family and I are never out of stuff to talk about. Everyone is usually somewhere out there pursuing their dreams, which is probably why I had thought it would not be very hard to say goodbye to them, I mean, we had never all stayed under one roof for more than a week ever since I can remember, but I was so wrong…As boarding time drew closer, it only took my elder sister's reminder of 'ok, five minutes before boarding', and I felt hot tears sting my eyes, again. I must admit I am generally a strong person, but at that point, I was so overcome by emotions that I could not hold it in; I went around hugging all that came to see me off, first, my friends, then family. Having saved my mother for last, I walked over to her and gave her the longest, tightest hug I had ever given her in my entire life. At that instant, my heart filled with immense gratitude at the thought of how the woman had sacrificed a lot just so that my siblings and I could have the most fulfilling life possible. I could not fight the thought that if I could be just half of the things she is, then I would be the greatest sibling, friend, child and mother possible.

As I disappeared into the boarding area whilst waving goodbye to my family, I could not stop thinking about how a new phase of my life has begun. I mean, I was leaving behind all that I have always known for almost three decades behind and plunging into the ‘unknown’. But I must admit it was a bitter-sweet moment as I believed great things awaited me from then forth, and nothing gave me more comfort than knowing that my family will be with me always, no matter the distance. They have equipped me with enough to help me survive anywhere, enough to help me do anything I put my mind into as well as be the best I can be in life. And so far, those teachings have done nothing but the best for me; in the few weeks I have been in New York, USA, I continue to learn, meet great people and most importantly, I do not forget to count my blessings as well as appreciate the people in my life every chance I get. Like they say; ‘What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.’ -Pericles. So the onus is on us with regards to how we want to impact the lives of those whose paths cross with ours, be it family, friends or otherwise.


Family seeing me off at the Airport

4 comments:

  1. It is a blessing to have such bonds with the family members and to acknowledge that. I believe cherishing the unforgettable moments we lived,and keeping in mind that we have people whom care about us and whom think about us all the time is priceless. You're among the lucky people in this world, keep this in mind T-(SH)-IRE :)

    Thank you for sharing such intimate moments with us. You brought me to tears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwwww, thank you Luna...please do not cry...but I know what you mean. Sometimes we do not appreaciate the great people in our lives enough, until they are gone.

      But I must say we have made home away from home here, it is a pity that we are going to part this week. Very,very sad, but I believe the friendships are going to continue from here and beyond...and that we will embark in many activities including road trips!

      Delete
  2. You made me cry, too. It's wonderful how you expressed your appreciation for your family, and your expressive writing helped me "see" the family scenes you described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Soffer, I just saw your comment.Thank you.
      By the way, I took away a lot from your class and I am going to be applying it here later today when I write my Global Economics paper, I cant wait to start it because I believe I have all I need to put a great paper together.

      Many thanks and greetings from Waltham, MA.

      Delete