Monday, August 13, 2012

The Chinese Building on St. John’s Queens Campus


We have been stayed in St. John’s Queens Campus a week now. This is a very beautiful campus with a strong international atmosphere. I have noticed that staffs work in St. John’s and students study in St. John’s are very diversity who are from all over the world. Of course I saw quite a lot Chinese students, but in this blog I am going to talk about the Chinese Building in the Queens Campus.

It is a typical ancient style Chinese building named “Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall”. Some of you keep asking me who this person was and how do I pronounce the name. I struggled, because “Sun Yat Sen” are not Mandarin, I couldn’t pronounce it properly nor tell my classmates who he/she is. Until last Friday, I checked online, I have the answer now! “Sun Yat Sen” was “a Chinese revolutionary and first president and founding father of the Republic of China” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Yat-sen). The spell of “Sun Yat Sen” is in Cantonese which is the one of the Chinese languages I am not familiar with. The 
Mandarin (which is the official language in China) spell of his name will be “Sun Zhong Shan”. However, there is one thing in common that is we put surname in front of first names. So “Sun” is his surname and “Yat Sen” or “Zhong Shan” are his first names. The same as my name, people in China call me “REN Xing”, not really “Xing REN” :P. Back to the “Sun Yat Sen Menorial Hall”, I felt so great to see a traditional Chinese building in St. John’s University Campus where I attend the Pre-Academic Program with all other Fulbrighters! One thing I noticed that the two stone lions both have the same balls under their paws (Picture a). 
Picture a
However, sometimes, people try to distinguish two lions by giving them a ball and a cub to differentiate the lion and the lioness (Picture b).

Do you see the differences? There are more to see in China! All of you are more than welcome to China, I will be a good guide ^_^!





2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Thanks for the info. I like the ball and cup thingy, I did not notice so to be honest. So we have two lions over here!!

    I personally believe it is one of the nicest buildings on campus! Thanks Xing Xing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks. Your post shows how important it is to have a guide when looking at art or architecture if we really want to appreciate it fully. Although the building certainly stands out on the campus, I like it, too. It's fun to have something so bright among all the duller brick buildings.

    ReplyDelete