Saturday, August 4, 2012

Manhattan & St John's lesson



When I learnt that I am coming to New York  City for Fulbright Pre-Academic orientation at St John's University, I packed my best outfits, high heeled shoes and got myself ready for three weeks in fascinating Manhattan! I had imagined a lot of glamor, luxury and wealth in the city. Instead, I found myself in NY financial district with hundreds of homeless people. 

Last Monday together with St John's staff we went to the Grand Central Neighborhood to serve food for less fortunate and homeless, as part of the Academic Service-Learning. Every day hundreds of people who can't afford meal (including students, and low income families) come to similar sites across the city. Poverty has been always persistent in NY, but it reached its highest level last year, according to the New York Times. While approaching soup kitchen at St Bart's Church we noted a long line of patiently waiting people, queuing next to the world richest corporations. Of course I was slightly shocked by the numerous number of hungry people in the heart of NYC, but there was something else that struck me the most. Human kindness and respect to people in need. Apart from students, many volunteers among whom ordinary New Yorkers come to such centers and churches to help less fortunate  every day. 

A middle-aged officer from the financial sector, Dick, has been volunteering at the St Bart's Church for four years already. He was there the night our group came. Dick friendly greeted us, gave an apron, gloves and a kitchen hat and showed me how to serve oranges and milk. Other members of the team were responsible for handling soup, sandwiches, bread, and water. I was curious and asked Dick why he comes here, a simple answer has followed: "It makes me feel good inside". Dick continued by saying that he teaches his children to help others, but how can they learn if there is no example. He volunteers here, so his children can learn from him. I was touched by the sincerity of Dick's words. 

My unexpected lesson learnt from Manhattan and St Joh's - respect and help those in need, despite the circumstances and place you have happened to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment