Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The First Two Weeks in NY


Time goes really fast, I cannot believe that I have been in the United State for two weeks already! I am really impressed how good American people are, but sometimes, I cannot work out why some other things work or happen here.

High efficiency. I am amazed how fast I passed through the US Board and how quickly I get a new bank account in New York. Documents checking, essential questions being asking, getting things done and moving to the next one are the steps happened in New York and these all have been done in a fast and professional way.

Commercial. Another feeling I got strongly since I was here is the Americans never let any opportunities go to make money and to advertise themselves. For example, I even need to pay $5 to use trolleys in the airport, which does not often happen in other airports. Another example is that American Flats are everywhere, such as on the top of houses, painted on buses and underground trains and on T-shirts. What a good way to advertise American image.

Friendliness. I have been told Americans are very friendly, and yes, they are! Every time I/we asked for directions, people who were taking the underground, walking on the street always gave us the directions very patiently. I am really impressed.

However, here “but” comes -- we had different experience when we asked the people who works at the station. They are the ones working in the station and should help people to take the correct train. However, we haven’t met any patient train officer yet. I don’t really get this.

Another little thing confuses me is the traffic sign. In New York, the white little man means you are ok to go, the flushing red hand still means you can go. In China, the only color of traffic sign for pedestrian to go is green. I guess different places using different colors but having the same meaning partially reflect the cultural differences.

Overall, I enjoyed the time in New York. There are a lot of things to do and places to visit. I am so looking forward to experiencing as much as I can in US!

2 comments:

  1. You make some interesting observations in your posting. You should write a letter to the mayor about the rudeness and lack of information of the transit workers. The mayor would be upset that they are not being good spokespeople for NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree on the friendliness part. I enjoy talking to random people here! Some are fun too.

    Regarding the traffic light, Don't you think the white sign is cool? We don't have it in my country as well. I liked it :) But I was wondering why the orange color does not flash when it is turning from red to green, to prepare the driver to get ready to drive again! Interesting!!

    There is still so much more to explore! Life is about to begin here dear Xing Xing :)

    ReplyDelete