Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Food for everyone

Yesterday, I was so lucky being involved in Academic Service Learning conducted by St. John's university. We (I, The O sisters from Ukraine - Olenka n Olena, Jorge, Gibril, Abbas , and our group leader Ms. Marie) visited Grand Central Neighborhood , the wonderful place where many Unlucky men could eat properly.

At first when I stood up in front the bulding I was shocked. A very long line of homeless (I guess), waiting for their time to get something to eat, made me doubt the reality at that moment. "Is this real or someone rolling the acting today?? cuz I ever saw this in The Pursuit of Happyness movie!!", questioning my eyes. But, the moment suddenly washed out of my mind. The big  guy who had baritone voice asked us to get into the building immadiately. With no formal introduction, he gave us the plastic gloves and hair net to wear. He asked us to stand behind the desk and get ready to serve the food to every person who came in to the building, the men who stood outside. He didn't give me the time to prepare for myself, and I was still drown by my thought.

I got the role in this reality movie as a croissant, salad, green beans, and other kinds of food server that I, myself didn't even know what the name of other foods that I serve. One by one the Old, the Young, the Man, the Woman, the Handicap, and so many others came to my table. Sometimes, they took what I gave them but others refused. Some begged me to give them more food.It was so touching! What a wonderful job!! You could witness the change of their expressions, from anger to smile, from silence to laugh. You serve the Old woman who looks just like your grandma! You feed the Young man who looks just like your brother at home.

I was completely speechless. How could I miss this happy and satisfying feeling for my 23 years??? I sat behind the desk and locked in my laboratory for years. That was amazing job, better even feels so much better than laboratory, cooking the "asphalt". Then, time was up, and the building was closed. We had to get back to campus. Some took their time for rest, and I counted the seconds to break my fasting. It was 8.15 pm that I remembered, Whispering to god " Thank for the food and priceless lesson you give me today, AMEN".

9 comments:

  1. You are right Ellah, You know at first I was thinking that everyone in the NYC will be rich and there won't be any beggar in the city. but when I walked around the streets in Manhattan, I came to know that there are lots of poor people too in the this city. I wish I could help them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ella, for your moving description of your experience. You unintentionally made me feel embarrassed in two ways. First, I'm embarrassed that I have never volunteered in a soup kitchen myself. Second, I am embarrassed that I live in such a rich city yet so many have so little. All New Yorkers should feel bad about that and try to change the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've sent double comments like what happened in Ed's essay. Better delete it than doubled. Really sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

      Delete
  4. Wow..! It is such a great experience, Ella. I love to read your writing. It is so touching. I am so exciting and thinking that everyone may feel the same after reading your essay since you can make it into a very nice essay to read.

    I've got my turn to be involved in the same place of the Academic Learning Services program as you with my group(Tholoana, Ajdin Femi and Luna)this day. We've got the same experience, and I am sure all of us will learn something due to this program. Wow, it is very interesting to do such kind of good thing, isn't it?

    If we talk about the program, it is true that we have to be care to the unlucky person arround us. We have to realize the real condition, and feel emphaty to the severity of the other's life, since not all people has the same chance like we do now. Many other people may not have a house to live in, a food to be eaten, or even some money to buy things. That's why there must be any person or even an organization which has a concern about this kind of matter. Since poverty sometimes can be a reason for someone to do any crime, damage or even something worst in the community life.

    Hopefully, someday we can also make some improvement in our country in the future. Let's see and prove it then!

    Cheers!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great experience Ella.
    We live in this world to help each other, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ella,I am thankful that you shared the emotions we all experienced being there together. We don't have suchlike activities in Ukraine.to tell the truth I was shocked -not that I was not aware that there are poor people in NY but I didn't expect to see all that the first day of being in this magnificent city! I was numbed...I had to take time to think it over to digest the info...I was mute for some time...Now I know, New York has double face as all our life has. No matter how painful it is we should accept it. But be merciful, sensitive but sensible. That's what I am thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ella this is quite touching and instructive. We should do our part in making the world a better place...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the very interesting and touching posting, Ella. It was my first experience of this kind as well. At the same time, I have mixed feelings and impressions abou it. Unintentionally, I started comparing people I've met there with poor people in my country and came to conclusion that things look much better than I expected here. It was a unique chance to see how things look in a developed country and to compare with the country in transition, I mean Russia. Have any of you, guys, thought about your own countries while serving the food? You probably can add something here. I've got an impression that all these people are, one one hand, facing these troubles in there lives at the moment and are officially recognized as "homeless" but, on the other hand, they all have a support and a chance to either find a job or find a better job and start living better. Besides, some of them are at least smile, they try to talk to you, and I see hope in their eyes and that is amazing. In my country "poor" people look completely different - when you look at them you feel sad about what's going on in the country. Do you feel the same?

    ReplyDelete