Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A morning in Manhattan!


On my first weekend in New York, I was out all Saturday evening, then stayed up all night long mingling with my Fulbright colleagues and also doing assignments, so by the time it was 7:00 AM, I was already exhausted and cannot wait to get into bed, but instead, I had to get dressed and meet my mother who made it to New York city just to say goodbye before she leaves the States back to Palestine, I surely wouldn’t have missed that opportunity. I left Manhattan Campus around 9:00 AM alone myself for the first time in the States, heading to the 5th Avenue. I was kind of worried but also excited to go by public transportation all by myself. I used google map to know the optimal direction, made sure to write it down and I took it from there!
It was one of the hot and cloudy days, which I cannot tell whether it is going to rain or it will get even hotter.  I started walking and crossed the first intersection when  I suddenly saw an old man taking off his pants in the middle of the street, I was kind of confused as this is not a normal act in my country and was not sure if it is so in the States. Anyhow, on my way to Fulton Subway station which was the one I was supposed to head to, I was asked couple of times for directions by random people and I had this huge smile on my face for being able to direct them easily! Oh yes, I was very proud of myself. Those who tried getting on trains with me can tell how horrible I am with the directions! I consider this an  achievement for me!
I was walking knowing I am getting closer to Fulton Station when I suddenly  saw policemen here and there asking us to walk the other way round as there was a dead body on the street, he seemed like a homeless guy in his 40s, that was the first real shock I face here, because from where I come from, Palestine, I have seen people being shot and killed by Israelis infront of my eyes, but I would never see in my country a dead body of someone who lost his/her life for hunger or cold. This scene distracted me to the extent that I suddenly found myself near South Park! I had to turn back as I really had no idea what other nearby stations can get me to my next destination!
After almost an hour, I managed to make it safely to the 5th Avenue, I start walking with my mother and sister as we got to Lexington Avenue to find the various booths selling anything we can imagine! I was amazingly surprised with the atmosphere, the music, people, the booths and the dance! That was a nice walk which had fueled me back with the positive energy needed. By the time it was 14:00 I had to say the goodbyes to mom and headed back to the campus to the begin Queens Experience! 

4 comments:

  1. It was nice to study with you *.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice studying with you! Just like now :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! In one day, you experienced some of the good and some of the horrifying aspects of New York. I'm sorry you had to experience the dead homeless man. You should know, though, that I've never seen something like that in all the years I've been here. Also, in case you're still wondering, it is not a normal act to take off one's pants in the middle of the street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. America has different ways to say "welcome" .In fact, each one of us has an experience about that . Thank you for sharing with us your experience. And once welcome to America !

    ReplyDelete