Sunday, August 5, 2012

Differences… differences everywhere

One of the most interesting things I have experienced during this week is the opportunity to know different stories, not just about our countries and cultures, but also about our experiences as Fulbrighters.

I applied to the Fulbright scholarship last year in June, and I received my acceptance letter in July. Since that time until January 15, a period of stress, hard job and difficult decisions started. Chilean Fulbright nominees worked hard for TOEFL and GRE tests, the preparation of personal statements and study objectives, the transcripts, etc. It was not an easy task, but in January/February all of us received the answers from the universities. By April, the institution where we will pursue our graduate studies was clearly defined.

However, this week I knew a very different story. One of us worked hard to get the admission in a prestigious American university, but he did not receive the answer at the time it was supposed to. He was looking forward to receiving the letter for months, and even when he pushed down, nobody told him if there was a concrete opportunity to come to the US. By July, he decided not to continue waiting for and forget about the idea of study at the US, when suddenly someone called him to tell he had been admitted in the program he desired. He had just a week for packing and preparing all the stuff (including the paperwork for his Visa) to come to the US.

I just want to mention this phrase he told me at the end of his story: “When I stopped to wait for that call… they called me”.  



3 comments:

  1. That's true. More we are waiting for something or someone, worst is our frustration... It has been a pleasure to meet you (to you and your secret storyteller)

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unusual to hear someone get so involved in another person's story! You are a natural journalist.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. “When I stopped to wait for that call… they called me”. This is truely my words too. I applied to Fulbright on June 2011, had reply of "being waitlisted" in December. Since I was told that I am listed as #1 out of about 15 other students who are also on waitlist, I was expecting to get the reply by January or so. I'd been waited and waited, but had no reply from Fulbright until mid-May. By the time I was already being accepted from Georgetown, so that 6 months was very stressful for me. I'd kept blaming myself why I couldn't do any better. When I gave up waiting, I finally received a reply from Fulbright on end of May. I am being very pleased for opportunities given to me, and I would like to do my best in my study. I feel like it is a miracle being here and getting to know all of you.

    ReplyDelete