Thursday, August 9, 2012

The strange feeling of being at "home"

It's strange to feel comfortable in a place that is not “yours”. I’ve been living in the city of New York for thirteen days now, but I got the strange sensation of belonging here in some way. The food, the culture, even the water here feels and tastes different than the one I used to drink at home; but for some reason, none of this seems to bother me.

Every time I wake up in the morning, I breathe with familiarity the thin air that surrounds me. Six Thirty a.m. in the morning every day. Turn the alarm clock off, take a shower, dress, take a breakfast in the cafeteria, go to class. Smile.

I wonder if it’s easy to create a habit to walk life with ease without feeling guilty for what you have left behind. Or it’s just a defense mechanism? To be honest, I don’t really know. 

It feels just right, to see the metro lights passing by. Break your neck, trying to find the highest point of every skyscraper in the city. The sound of every dialect mixed to create an ominous anthem for life. Finally the feel of having absolute control of life with the most precise steering wheel and the best pair of brakes ever created. Just in case.

I guess, It must be just an early stage of my trip to a distant and unknown place that soon will be replaced with more human feelings, such as: deception, loneliness or even boredom but for now, I’m a happy robot...

...Even though, I miss Tacos with Salsa.


-Eduardo –TLaloC- Corral

3 comments:

  1. No Eduardo, you caught the bug!! You're hooked!!You have discovered your home away from home! There is no chance of you experiencing loneliness or boredom, even when you find yourself alone! There is simply toooooo much to do here!! You will be back for a visit very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, I don't think you're the only one with these feelings. I would call it numbness in my case, or maybe denial for what I left behind. I really don't know what to call this feeling hunting me down!

    I guess the fact that we're all in the same boat makes it easier. It ain't an easy step we're taking, but it is what most of us if not all wished for! Let's embrace it. No Boredom, No Loneliness, we'll always have each other as a team and we'll help each other out to live the best of it.

    The best is yet to come!! Oh yeah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's possible that your next stop won't be as exciting as NYC, but you will, I'm sure, make the most of any place you go. You will bring your energy with you and be happy.

    ReplyDelete