Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Moving to Queen's Campus


As we first came to the United States, we were supposed to be in Manhattan camps of St. John’s University for a week. It was the best place I have ever been to.  St. John’s campus is located in a very close distance to the World Trade Center. I could go to any part of Manhattan easily by taking the subway.

Some of the students including me were observing the holy month of Ramadan. We were fasting during the day. It was easy for us, because we had enough foods and a special table with Halal foods for Muslim Students. The guy responsible for the dining hall, Martin, was very friendly with everyone. We were supposed to go in the evenings and take food for our dinner and as well as take box food for our midnight supper.

Before moving to Queens campus. Susan Peterson,  told us that Cristina will be our focal point there. When I reached Queens Campus. I first went to Conference Services office. I asked for Cristina, they told us that they don’t know any Cristina. I was so surprised after hearing that.

The same day in the evening I along with other Muslim students went to the Dining Hall. The receptionist told us to meet the manager.  When I talked to him about our situation that we need to have boxed meal. He went inside and brought everyone a small packet which had on Fish Sandwich, one apple, potato chips and one bottle water. I asked him to give me two because I may need it during the midnight. He answered that they could not provide us more water. We have to survive on ONE bottle water in 24hrs. I was so depressed after hearing that, and wished to go back to Manhattan. 

3 comments:

  1. From Sue Peterson:
    Oh, dear, I am very sorry to hear about your first-day experience at the Queens campus. Please know that we had made special arrangements for box dinners for those of you who are observing Ramadan. Unfortunately, there was a mix-up about the meals and bottled water limits. Since all tap water is safe, it never would have occurred to our staff that you would not have access to fresh water. I am also sorry that you were expecting to meet Christina on your arrival on Sunday. She is your contact, but as I announced in your classes here in Manhattan, you would meet her on Monday, not Sunday. I am sure this was upsetting. Please be assured that everyone at the Queens campus is working hard to help make your stay and experience a positive one.

    I would also like to share with you that you are not alone. In fact, you have experienced what many American students go through as they get settled and situated in their new “home.” No doubt, your experience will be something that will connect you to your new American classmates that you will be meeting later this month when you go to your destination university. I know I could tell you my stories about trying to navigate my way through the large, sprawling university I attended, but that will have to wait for another blog posting.
    Sue Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sue Peterson:
    I really miss you so much (you and the whole team in Manhattan). Martin was friendly. With a beautiful smile on his face, he was helping us in every thing. It was easy to observe Ramadan in Manhattan. I felt as if I was in my family. Would you please let him know that all of us are grateful? He was our angel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Sue Peterson
    Dear Fatma,
    I will be happy to tell Martin how much you all appreciated his help.
    Best,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete