Wednesday, August 15, 2012

It's hard...

Today in our speaking class, we had an opportunity to do the presentation. There are 3 groups with different topics. The first group (Denny, I, Herve, and Kyyas) presented about cuisine diversity. We talked more about the influence of culture, local ethnic, ingredients availability, religion could effect the food. The second group (Elrica, Gibril, Rizal, and Jorge) explained about "3-weeks in NY in the eye of Fulbrighters" which was so interested especially when it came to personal experience about the program. The presentation successfully represented what I think personally to the program.

The last group (Babafemi, Eduardo, and Fika) brought more academic topic to the class, which for me personally it's hard to prepared it in a short time. They talked about the impact of Automobile to society. The contents were  good; moreover, they gave me the new information about automobile that I did not get it in my formal education in transportation engineering. For instance, how cars and art are related. After seeing the presentation, I could say that art plays the important role to attract people to use public transportation as a substitute mode to reduce the bad impacts of using private vehicles.

So, why I wrote "It's hard" at the beginning???
Well, I'll say that:
It's tough to make a good comment and how to criticize in a good way. I admitted that I didn't do very well in presenting my disagreement to my friends. But, honestly, I don't have any bad intention in doing so. What crossed in my mind was how I tried to give them a suggestion for their next presentation. I asked to Fika and also Prof. Ellaine about the way I response. They said that I need to lower my tone a little bit and also try to say the good thing before telling the bad.

I agreed with what they said. It was a really good suggestion for me. I am trying; however, It's still hard. I grew up in the environment where you must speak loudly or the wind from the sea will blow your voice. I grew up in the family in which you have to tell the truth (either good or bad) directly. I interacted and getting involved more in engineering major that taught me to see every thing more objectively. So, that's why maybe I look more quite because I am still trying to adjust to this kind of environment, when people need to be more interactive.

So, deeply from my heart I say "Sorry for every body".
Thanks



1 comment:

  1. It's admirable that you care so much about trying to change your manner a little to make sure you won't offend anyone in the future.
    However, don't be so hard on yourself. I think everyone knows you're a kind person and were just trying to give constructive criticism. Your explanation of your background was fascinating. Were you being literal or figurative when you wrote about the sound of the wind from the sea?

    ReplyDelete